The Power Of Asking
There are many experiences prove to me that there’s power lies in the sentence “Ask and you shall receive.”
Whenever I know someone is going overseas, I will not hesitate to ask him to get me one or two bottles of Coca- cola for my collection. You know what, they are more than willing to buy for me or even give me for free as gifts.
I even went to the extent of asking for loans during my difficult times! And of course, I managed to get what I wanted.
The examples given here are to show to you the power of asking. My real life examples are endless.
If you don’t ask, people don’t know what you are looking for and therefore, in most cases, you won’t get what you want. It’s common sense.
This is what happens to most people. The problem is they don’t ask. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
If you dare to ask and if what you ask is within the reach of the other party, he will give you what you want.
Why most people don’t ask?
First of all, they fear rejections. They are worried that what they ask for will be turned down.
Secondly, they are afraid that they ask the wrong thing and this makes them look stupid and less intelligent.
And thirdly, they don’t even know they can get what they want just by asking in the first place!
Where can you apply this?
You can ask for what you want in every situation of your life or business.
In selling, asking plays an important role. You have to ask for closing which many people afraid to do.
If you want your spouse to do something, just ask for it.
If you want to buy something but you can only afford a lower price, ask for it. Or you can trade in something for something.
If you want excellent customer service in a restaurant, just ask.
If you need help to do something, open your mouth and ask.
Basically, you can apply this in any situation. More often than not, you’ll be surprised what you get just out of asking.
But how do you ask?
1) Know what you want – You can only ask for what you want only when you know what you want. Set a target figure in your mind if you are in a business dealing.
2) Be specific – Don’t say “Give me a lower price.” Say “I’ll offer you $100 instead.”
3) Be daring – Ask for something much better than what you want and you’ll get what you want. If you want to buy something and you are willing to pay $500 for it. Offer the shop owner that you can only pay $300. Then negotiate from there to get what you want – $500.
4) Assume that you already get it when you ask – Don’t hesitate and be confident when you ask for what you want.
5) Forget about how people look at you – what is important is you get what you want. And it’s up to the other party to decide whether your request is reasonable or not. You are not here to please anybody and to look good.
What’s the worst thing that can happen to you when you ask? You get a ‘no’. It’s no big deal and you have nothing to lose when people say ‘no.’
But if you don’t ask, you’ll definitely get a ‘no’ for it.
By simply applying the steps outlined above, you’ll see that your life will become richer and more exciting. Remember if you don’t ask, you don’t get.